Top 10 movies of 2014
Not without the tardiness drops the best of 2014, but hastily and without seeing a plethora of this year’s films, my 2015 list is coming up momentarily. Just catching up on the years… that said, having waited awhile before posting this list results in my not really remembering what the best of 2014 was… but from my recollection, here we go:
10. Nightcrawler – Jake Gyllenhaal makes this. With Zodiac and Prisoners, that’s 3 Gyllenhaal performances I dig.
9. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes – Damn dirty apes come up with a good sequel.
8. Edge of Tomorrow – The Groundhog Day of action movies is actually good!
7. Guardians of the Galaxy – After an entire summer working everyday, this was what I did with my first day off, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. My favourite opening sequence of the year.
6. Inherent Vice – Felt more Pynchon than PTA, and I’m still trying to make heads of tails of things here, and am going back fore more.
5. Only Lovers Left Alive – Jarmusch’s best in some time. Great hypnotic quality, great music, and DETROIT!
4. Boyhood – Go Linklater go!
3. Birdman – Go Alejandro go!
2. Foxcatcher – Wow. “Mother didn’t care for horse meat!” Man was this intriguing and well executed. Great performances all around.
- Grand Budapest Hotel – Wes’ best since Tenenbaums makes for the best film of the year. Fiennes is perfectly cast. Dafoe is great as always. Nobody makes European American films like Wes… perfect dioramas. A great culmination of Wes’ bag of tricks.